Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Three Beautiful Things 01/16/07: Popcorn, King, Othello

1. I got too excited about making popcorn tonight and the top of the air popper blew off because of the kernel volume. I had to laugh at myself for my eagerness and promised to be more popcorn moderate next time.

2. The temperature in my 8:30 WR 115 classroom was 57 degrees. It was snowing outside. The campus was on the brink of shutting down, and did at ten o'clock. And, yet, in spite of the distractions of cold, snow, and closure, my students got involved in learning about Martin Luther King, Jr.'s "Letter from Birmingham Jail" and made excellent contributions to discussion. You won't catch me complaining about "these students today". My students today were wonderful and were wonderful in less than appealing conditions.

3. I watched a rough but moving run through of the last half of Act V of our production of Othello. It was moving. I felt an upsurge of emotion for the power of the acting and of confidence that we are going to have a very good show.

No comments: