Thursday, January 18, 2007

Three Beautiful Things 01/18/07: Jane King, Karyssa, Costumes

1. What a pleasure to run into Jane King on campus today! In her retirement, Jane has taken classes at LCC, including my Shakespeare course about twelve years ago, and has taken a keen interest in interdisciplinary learning communities and generously supported these efforts at the college. I have been in Jane's company at plays, lectures, my wife's performances, exercising at the YMCA, over food and drink, at receptions, poetry readings, and any number of other gatherings. Seeing her and having a chance to chat for a few minutes brightened my afternoon and sparked my feelings of gratitude for her good cheer and her service to education and to the city of Eugene.

2. I gave Karyssa a ride home after play rehearsal and enjoyed listening to her tell me about her forays into making wood sculptures.

3. Today I went for my costume fitting and I so much enjoyed going to the costume shop and having Heather hand me the exotic costumes I will wear as a Senator and as a gentleman of Cyprus: so much color and such an irresistable opportunity to feel like I'm someone else and living in the worlds of Venice and Cyprus centuries ago.

No comments: