Tuesday, February 6, 2007

Three Beautiful Things: 02/06/07): Review, Shakespeare Now, Jack Jacobs, May He Rest in Peace

1. Othello received a very positive review, here, from the Register Guard. What's more, the review acknowledged that LCC is the center of Shakespeare action in Eugene and the local area. Our students were praised somewhat lavishly for their work on and off the stage.

2. Matt, Jeff, and I talked about the production of Othello and I reiterated that I am no longer a Shakespeare scholar. I'm not really an actor either. I am an in the moment Shakespeare sponge, soaking up as much of his music and beauty as humanly possible.

3. Memories of Jack Jacobs flood back in the wake of this death yesterday. We'll not see many like him: a reformed drunk, worked hard right up until he was hospitalized with colon cancer; he was a loving father, a man whose vocabulary was rich in profanity, a gambler, worker, hunter, fan of boxing, a gazer upon women, and a man untouched by social reforms that would encourage him to be more polite and more accepting of a world where people of all races live in closer proximity to white people and where white people are not the best, merely by virtue of being white. Whenever I heard people talk about how awful people are who held and expressed some of Jack's attitudes, I always new he had some blind spots, but he was a generous and loving man, especially with his son, my good friend, Ron (Jake).

No comments: