Friday, March 2, 2007

Live Blog: Marmite Tasting, The Finale

I have, with the care one usually associates with an animal doctor repairing the broken wing of a hummingbird, covered toasted English muffin halves with a) a thin layer of Marmite and b) a bit of butter and a thin layer of Marmite.

Snug has been pacing around the kitchen while I've done this. It's as if his instincts tell him something momentous, like an earthquake is about to occur.

I just reassured him: it's just the old man having his first Marmite.

7:35: Here goes.

Very salty. Rich. Biting. The tea tastes good going over my first bite.
When I opened the jar of Marmite, I thought I could use this stuff to blob over a hole in the roof, to tar it over.

Second bite: It's growing on me. I like the fact that this tastes different from anything I've ever tasted. But, I supposed I'd say the same thing if I just bit into a sweaty sock. But, I think Marmite is better.

Third bite. Mmmm. Makes me think a bit of sardines without the strong odor. I'm liking this. Last bite of the butter free side: makes me think cheese might be good.

7:39 I will now try the half with butter and Marmite.

First a sippa.

Bloody hell. I choked a bit on my tea. I'll cough it off.

Another sippa. Try to get my hatch settled down.

Well now. This is good. The butter adds sweetness to the salty Marmite. I must say, there is something a bit wild about the Marmite. The only parallel I can think of on the spot is like first eating game.

And the Marmite bites a little. I like that.

Yes. I could imagine eating this Marmite and muffin toasted with egg in the morning with a cup of tea. The Marmite would give me a similar sensation to having a salty meat, like bacon or sausage with my egg.

Yes, I think this Marmite is right up my alley. I think it must be eaten in moderation. I can imagine a second English muffin or a second toast with marmalade on it tasting good after this. The complement of sweet and salty would be good to me.

My final bite. I like that this Marmite tastes earthy. The taste lingers. I'm letting it linger and now I'm going to have another sippa...

Thank you Marmitetoasty and thank you my dear student Tamar for encouraging me, indirectly on Marmitetoasty's part and directly on the part of Tamar, to enter this new world of foodstuff.

Either you love it or hate it.

I think I love it!

7:47 Signing off

4 comments:

MarmiteToasty said...

ROTFLMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!

HAHAHAHAHHAHAhahahahahahahhaha

:) ok this soooooo made me laff, fanks for that lol

Ya know they say to spread it well thinly...... well in this house I spread it thickly lol thick enough that if you dipped your finger into the marmite on ya toast it would come half way up ya nail LOL

Best on crumpets cos then the holes all fill up and ya get even double amount :)

Ya know the best way to eat marmite besides on soldiers with soft boiled eggs.... thats to spread it THICK on lovely wholegrain country bread and then spread crunchy peanut butter on top :) - HEAVEN.........

And YES marmite is best eaten with a steaming mug of 'builders tea'... thats properly made not with hot water out the tap like I hear they make tea in the states....... jebus......

Sorry I didnt get to ya live blobbing...... not that I even know what that is lol....... Im a bit of a computer dinlo ya know....

And I didnt get to read about this on the Dingleberries until I awake this morning.... bloody time difference lol.......

Anyways - fanks for this, you made me day :)

x

Carol Woolum Roberts said...

I tuned it at 5:30 pm for the live blog, but you weren't there, and now I see there was a delay. I had to head off for opening night so couldn't read about it until later. Did you ever share any with Snug? Bring some up the next time you come. I'm always up for a food adventure!!!

Student of Life said...

OK. I'm not too proud to admit I had to Google marmite to find out what the hell you were talking about. However, your description matched several of the internet definitions of marmite. Your comparison to smelly socks makes me want to run out to the store right now and get me some of that yum, yum goodness!

Katrina said...

Okay, you've convinced me. If I ever happen across a jar of marmite while shopping, I will buy it, just for the novelty of trying something new.

I think it was your comparison to sardines that clinched it for me--I have long been a lover of sardines (as well as many other strong tastes.) My college roommate had a very firm non-sardine rule in the room, so I had to crouch in the dorm stairwell with my mustard-packed sardines and saltine crackers to get my fix. Ohhh, it was worth it, though.