Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Three Beautiful Things 01/13/07:Dresden, Raw, Duff

1. K-Doe introduced me to the dissonant, dissident, dark boogie woogie of the Dresden Dolls.

2. Daisy presented a searing paper today in WR 122 chronicling the violence imposed upon her by a past boyfriend in images and language so raw that the class needed a break to recover and a line formed at Daisy's desk as one student after another hugged her.

3. A group of students presented a pictorial representation of how it's all connected in Kim Barnes' memoir In the Wilderness and they included, to show young Kim's teenage life with drinking, an image of a beer can that stumped me. I had to ask what it was and was humiliated when it became apparent that I haven't watched a family sit com on TV since, oh, maybe Leave it to Beaver.(That's right. I'd never heard of Duff Beer. Sigh)

1 comment:

Katrina said...

Re: #2-- Wow. What a unique classroom experience, and I'm sure none of them will ever forget it. Sometimes just speaking (or writing) our most painful experiences gives us a certain power over them.

I'm part of a ministry at church that pairs a mentor/lay counselor with an individual who is going through a traumatic life experience. Mostly we just listen, validate, pray. I always advise the women I work with to write in a journal, even if they never show it to anyone or even read it again themselves. It's affirming to be able to name your problems and your fears, and it helps so much in the process of healing.