Friday, March 9, 2007

Three Beautiful Things 03/09/07: Zags/Ducks: Yikes!, Indonesian Kindness, Perils of Heroin,

1. I wore my Gonzaga hoodie to LCC today and a student asked me about it and I proudly told her I lived in Spokane two different times...then suddenly I shuttered within myself: what happens if Gonazaga plays the U of Oregon in the NCAA tournament? Where is my rooting interest? Don't tell anyone in Eugene, but I was a Gonzaga guy long before an Oregon guy and an Idaho guy long before that. Go Zags!!

2. In my office today, I learned that my student Jeffrey is from Indonesia and started studying in Singapore when he was about nine years old. I had thought he was Japanese. I'm so out of it. Not only is he Indonesian, his ancestory is Chinese. As I stumbed around with his ancestory and country of origin, Jeffrey was the picture of graciousness and answered my questions most kindly.

3. Oh my! Delores is in her mid-twenties and has committed three drug-related felonies in two different states and is on probation in a state other than Oregon where she is going to school right now. She's working to get everything cleaned up and was very sweet this morning when she stayed after class and asked me if we could work out a way for her to finish the course even if she got called away to one of the states where she's been in trouble. She is learning: even if she cleans herself up personally and goes to twelve step meetings and gets clean, the past crimes against the State live on. I hope she gets this all straightened out soon. As a clean kid she's very sweet and extremely smart, but her sense of personal security is shaky. I think she can recover. I believe in her.

No comments: