Saturday, May 26, 2007

Exaggeration and Confusion: Sunday Scribblings

Photo: Jim and Jan McCorison, here

Today's Sunday Scribblings prompt is "simple". To read more, go here.

As I've written before, my experience with depression has been that it's not sadness it's madness. A large portion of that madness is suffering from anxiety and the exaggeration and confusion that accompanies it. I always thought, before I knew I was ill, that my anxiety was a profound way of caring deeply about things: money, a dropped and broken plate, dinner preparation, following the right directions while driving, or the comings and goings of our kids.

I didn't realize that my worry and my exaggerated yelling or gritting my teeth or jumping up and down with agitation was out of whack, and to my wife(
ves), my overwrought reactions to such everyday things could be frightening and certainly surreal.

It is much more simple not to behave this way. The help I have experienced through medication has not only helped me remain calm (I joke and call it apathetic because I thought thought these outbursts meant I cared so much), but it has made dealing with money and broken dishes and preparing food much more simple.

The picture I posted is a visual depiction of my more simple mind. Rather than turbulent, piling anxiety and worry upon anxiety and worry to create mental gale force winds and driving rain and thundering ocean waves in my mental landscape, my more simple mental landscape is like the more placid ocean. My mind and emotions feel expansive, with few swelling, sudden tides, and the picture is less dramatic and much more simple.

In the same way that storm chasers flock to the ocean to watch the irresistible power of a gale storm, these storms of anxiety had a kind of magnetic appeal. I thought they made me more alive, with
adrenaline coursing through my veins, simple aspects of my life experienced at high pitches, everything, rather than seeming simple, had the excitement of crisis.

Being simple, and in clearer perspective, the events of my life lack the melodrama they once had. Being simple, these everyday events seem smaller, more trivial, easier to shrug off.

Seeing them as simple affords my mind to see the larger picture in the whole complex of time and events, rather than seeing each thing that happens as the big picture itself.

It's a relief. Experiencing things as simple has relieved me of the racing of my mind, of visions of my life caving in, of fearing that at any moment all that I have known will fall apart.

Simple is not easy. It is not shallow. It is not simplistic. It's been hard earned. It's given my life a sense of stretching out, of being spacious, not claustrophobic. It feels like standing on the Oregon Dunes and seeing the Pacific Ocean extend for miles, beyond the eye's reach.

9 comments:

Pinehurst in my Dreams said...

Yes!

Anonymous said...

Buddha had something to say about attachment.

Anonymous said...

I'm prone to anxiety too. Not even so much worry or frustration with people and things, but a chemical feeling of dread or feeling unsafe. Meditating helps. Other times I just have to realize it's not the real me but more a chemical imbalance. I sort out what is rational and what isn't. When it comes to driving in or near cities, I consider it a rational fear and don't do it. The paradise of my home and yard help, which is what I have written about for this prompt.

gautami tripathy said...

I agree, simple is tough.

Anonymous said...

Deek here. Simple is "essential," the core of what's needed to exist, to thrive, take things in.

Depression is contagious, and contaminates everything and everyone around it.

raymond pert said...

Deek (Deke): So true. So insidious.

Gautami Tripathy: Thank you for stopping by and for your direct and so true response.

Colleen: Lovely response and it's very helpful between your blog post and this comment to know the very sane and wise ways you work with anxiety. I always enjoy and learn from your insight.

Anon: I've found Buddha very helpful.

Jennifer: I haven't planned to write my Sunday Scribblings on my struggles with and understanding of depression, but the prompts have inspired me to. Thanks so much for your support and enthusiasm for these writings.

PinehurstInMyDreams: Yes!indeed!

Christy Woolum said...

It is so much easier to get through a day when you keep each event more simple. I agree with Jennifer... you need to continue to keep these posts coming.

Annie said...

I, too, get a lot out of these posts. This one hits home as I suffer from profound (and seemingly inexplicable) anxiety at times.

Anonymous said...

Hey, nice photo. :) Jan says if you want to talk about anxiety you should see some of the conditions we were in where we couldn't take a photo.

But I agree with your thoughts and how they match up the photo. But remember, if you mind is always like that you are probably missing some excitement in life.