Thursday, May 24, 2007

Three Beautiful Things 05/23/07: Sunset, Kennewick, Vin

1. I have things back-assward. It is common for people to travel to Oregon and go to the ocean to see the sunset. I prefer travelling away from Oregon and see what I saw today: a soft sunset between Ritzville and Sprague, with ribbons of pink and pale orange circling the sky, illuminating horses, grain elevators, and hillocks, endowing them with delicate light.

2. I was fiddling with my XM satellite radio receiver and missed the Kennewick exit and went on I-82 to Richland and caught the Spokane exit later. I enjoyed this route more than my usual one. No stoplights. I'm wondering why I've always thought I needed to go through Kennewick.

3. Nothing makes a long drive enjoyable like baseball games on the radio. I elevated the joy of today's drive by listening to the Red Sox and the Yankees and the Brewers and the Dodgers. Neither game was close, but the early innings of the Dodger game featured Vin Scully, the dean of baseball broadcasters, and a master at comfortably and effortlessly filling in the space left by baseball's slow pace.

No comments: