Sunday, May 27, 2007

Three Beautiful Things Plus a Bonus 05/27/07: Smores, Sloth, Kind Julie, Family History

1. InlandEmpireGirl and her husband built a gazebo in their front yard, using an old satellite dish as the roof. It has a fireplace, comfortable chairs, and a picnic table. Just before dark, with a spring rain pelting the roof, two of my nieces, Mom, JEJ, IEGirl, Silver Valley Girl, and I made and ate smores. I'd never had one before. I could only eat one. They are really rich. For a picture essay of our smore fest, go here.

2. It has been sloth day for me. I enjoy so much having nothing that needs to get done and I rested, posted pictures on my blog, read other blogs, and enjoyed the company of my family and Snug, as well as InlandEmpireGirl's dogs, Annie and Shelby. It was a quiet and relaxing day.

3. My student Julie made my day. She asked what the deal was with "Raymond Pert" and after I told her she then wrote me back and kindly told me she dipped into my blog and couldn't stop reading. Her email was heartwarming and gratifying.

Bonus: After dinner, InlandEmpireGirl, Silver Valley Girl, and I read our blog posts remembering our Grandma West to my mother. Grandma West was her mother. Mom really enjoyed hearing what we wrote and then she answered my question about how it was that her family moved from the ranch into town, in Orofino, when her father deserted their family, and how her mother came to own the house she lived in for many years, and the house where so many of my memories of her are stored. It helped me put a lot of pieces of family history together and helped increase my sense of respect for my grandmother and my sense of outrage as to what a scoundrel my grandfather was for deserting his family.

1 comment:

Pinehurst in my Dreams said...

Sounds like a great, satisfying weekend!