Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Three Beautiful Things 10/16/07: Shirk, Questions, Aha!

1. Scott Shirk, The Duke Roderigo Wall Don Albany Tom Pedro of Snout, and I had lunch today at Taco Loco and once and for all solved all the problems of live theater productions. If you are an actor, and when you go to rehearse or perform today, when things go flawlessly, drop me a thank you note and I'll pass it on to Duke Snout.

2. What is real? Our primal selves? Our civilized selves? Are we born with an ethical sense? In what way do our stories define us, as individuals and as a culture? Like these questions? Then you'd have a great time in WR 121 where these questions and others have students trying to figure out what it means to be human in a complicated and often puzzling world.

3. J., one of my students, suddenly had a light go on: Mary Anne in The Things They Carried is a metaphor isn't she? A smile broke out over his face and he explained how he could see that she was an embodiment of the collective Viet Nam experience. I could feel the adrenaline course through my veins as he expanded upon this moment of public insight.

No comments: