Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Three Beautiful Things 10/30/07: Man Crush, Perspectives, Coffee

1. We are reading Dan O'Brien's Buffalo for the Broken Heart in WR 121. I was part of a group that had lunch with him last spring. Should I have told my evening class that I had a slight man crush on him? These sorts of bordering on inappropriate things just spill out of me when I'm feeling relaxed with my students, but then I think, "God. Should I have said that?" I did say it. And, to me, it was beautiful!

2. I really enjoyed listening to my students discuss the ecological perspective Dan O'Brien brings to ranching and seeing it in contrast to the commercial/commodity perspective that prevails.

3. I really like this one cafeteria employee at LCC. This evening she was stopping customers from going forward at the espresso bar to protect the baristas' quit time and working to ensure they didn't miss their bus. When she found out all I wanted was a coffee and not an espresso drink, she let me go to the bar. I also asked about her weekend snowboarding at Mt. Hood. She had a great time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bill,
A few students and I have discussed some of the reasons why we enjoy your class so much and one of the biggest things is because you are so relaxed with us. I think it helps us all relate. Keep up the great work!