Thursday, November 8, 2007

Three Beautiful Things 11/08/07: A-OK, Corruption, Stellar Students

1. My good friend and faithful Kellogg Bloggin reader, Bridgit, emailed me today and wondered if I was having troubles because I hadn't posted on my blog for a few days. It was very thoughtful of her to ask and, happily, I reported that I've been busy with school and reading and for the first time since I started this blog, I took a few days off.

2. I finished Timothy Egan's remarkable and unsettling book "Breaking Blue". It was a perfect book for my tastes in reading. It was a Spokane and the Inland Empire history book; it was a book about conscience and the remarkable ways that long-held work on the human soul and body; it is a book about the lawless ways of the area where I was born and raised, ways that I find fascinating, if not mysterious.

3. In both my WR 121 sections today, students wrote analysis essays about Dan O'Brien's remarkable book "Buffalo for the Broken Heart" and then discussed the content of their papers. I am still ecstatic about the shrewd and sensitive insights my students have into this book and how beautifully they articulated them. Their sophisticated and deep thinking is a source of great joy.

No comments: