Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Three Beautiful Things 11/12/07: Megaflood, Flood Prevention, Heavy Lifting

1. The geological history of central Washington state is stunning. The scablands were carved out by an incomprehensible flood when a great glacial lake in western Montana broke through an ice dam. I learned about all of this watching a Nova DVD today. Stunning.

2. Stepson Patrick decided to blow off his mother's wishes that he clean the leaves out of the back rain gutters. So I did it and it was satisfying not falling off the ladder, not having the ladder tip over, and not having the ladder come back on me as I flopped around on the ladder scooping leaves and other roof gunk out of the gutters.

3. Stepson Patrick has never taken care of his post-Burning Man plastic tubs. I want the space they took up in the garage back, so I grunted them on the shelf above the garage door. It was gratifying to know that I could do some heavy lifting without landing myself in the hospital in traction.

No comments: