Thursday, December 13, 2007

Three Beautiful Things 12/13/07: Dylan, D to A, "Autobahn"

1. Having watched the movie, "I'm Not There" yesterday inspired me to listen to Bob Dylan songs much of the day today. After all these years, I'm starting to not only continue to enjoy his music, but to understand his songs and his artistry better.

2. I'd had to submit a D grade for two very good writers who hadn't completed their last essay by the time I had to enter grades. Their papers came in today and I changed their grades to A, the grade they earned and deserved.

3. Rolling Stone online has named the fifty best songs that are over seven minutes long, here. Among them Kraftwerk's "Autobahn". I went to Napster and found a version that is about twenty-three minutes long and I enjoyed the sensation of being behind the wheel of a BMW, feeling its power on the Autobahn.

4 comments:

myrtle beached whale said...

No Harry Chapin on the list? Travesty!!!

Go Figure said...

After my daughter Meegan moved to the BIG city she hung around with various other 'kids'. She became friends with one girl and at some point in time went over to her house. While there she noticed a number of Bob Dylan 'things' around the house and asked about them. Turned out that he is her dad! I don't know if Meegan ever met him but that really wasn't the point of her story. It was hey this person, related to a very famous person, was just 'a regular person.' Pretty neat observation.

Anonymous said...

Be sure not to overlook Dylan's 1975 masterpiece, "Blood On The Tracks" if you enjoy his work.

Pinehurst in my Dreams said...

"In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" by Iron Butterfly was my all-time favorite long version song. . .until I became a Christian. Now it's probably Handel's Messiah.