Saturday, January 12, 2008

Sunday Scribblings: Enforcing Academic Due Dates

I teach writing and literature at the community college here in Eugene, OR. I've been at Lane Community College since 1989 and before hiring on at LCC had taught at Whitworth College (now University) and the University of Oregon since 1977.

For years, I taught my course as if it were the only course my students were taking and tried to rigorously enforce paper due dates accordingly. I spent a lot of energy cajoling students, sometimes even punishing them with lower grades, all in the name of getting papers in on a certain date.

Other instructors do this, too. They say it helps prepare students for the demands and rigors of the real world.

The IRS extends my tax deadline. When our department needs more time to submit a proposal, almost every time, when we ask, we are given more time. The U.S. Congress extends its sessions beyond what was originally planned. Due dates, time tables, deadlines are, in the real world, negotiable and often have extensions and grace periods built in.

So, is the unbending enforcement of paper due dates really in line with the "real" world? I think not.

Moreover, when I look at my real world professional job, I think it's similar to what many people in different professions experience.

I have one primary "boss" or manager. I teach a schedule of classes and I determine, within objectives shared by our department, what I'll have my students read and when papers should be completed. When conflicts arise in my professional life, when I'm double scheduled with conferences to see students, or when two meetings overlap, I work it out with the parties involved.

This seems to me to be how the "real" world functions, by and large.

Students enrolled full time in college usually take three to four classes.

Therefore, they have three or four "bosses" telling them what to do and when to do it.

Those four "bosses" do not coordinate with each other. At all. I might decided to have an essay due on the same day that a student has a physics midterm.

My experience, in the "real" world is that if this happened to me, I could work out the conflict with the parties involved.

In the academic world, however, instructors often act as if it is a violation of rigor to give a student an extension or to help them work out these kinds of conflicts.

I tell my students to make my class their bottom priority if they need to and to get their work in as soon as is reasonably possible.

I try to work with due dates with my students in the same way I experience them applied in the world of taxes, business, teaching, credit card payments, and other parts of the world we call "real".

I just don't think they need any more pressure than what they are already under working full time or part time, trying to make ends meet, and trying to keep up with a full load of classes with three, four, or five instructors who don't have a clue as to what each other is asking the student to do and when.

7 comments:

Christy Woolum said...

I agree with this. I know of many students that wouldn't have made it through our writing project if EM put on strict deadlines... I also know many teachers that wouldn't be in their classrooms... but they can't see the connection. GRRR.

Renee said...

I wish more instructors thought the way you do! But I must say, as far as college is concerned, I noticed that if I needed to extend a deadline for something, it's most often been writing instructors that were willing to do that for me.

Unknown said...

I fully agree with this within the college setting, but I also think we need to still have deadlines, to keep us driving ahead.

Having teens I want them to know negotiation is an option, but they also have to live up to their responsibilities.

Make sense?

Nicely written, and good take on the topic.

Penelope Anne
http://wannabeawritersomeday.blogspot.com/2008/01/sunday-scribblings-date.html

Forgetfulone said...

As a stepmom of a daughter who just bombed her first semester of college, I see your point. However, she is such a procrastinator that I think she brings it on herself, somewhat. I think a case-by-case basis is a great idea. You are more generous than most professors.

susan said...

Reasonable and considerate. I had instructors like you and I appreciated them. In fact, I didn't want to disappointment. Who wants to fail to extend respect and courtesy when it's been given to them? Thanks for the read.

Tumblewords: said...

My oldest granddaughter went to Lane and came away with a very positive feeling and a topnotch position! I'm happy!

myrtle beached whale said...

you have been tagged.

http://myrtlebeachramblings.blogspot.com/2008/01/meme-from-lucy.html