Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Three Beautiful Things 01/07/08: Wrong Can, Longing, "Life During Wartime"

1. I didn't puke after eating a couple of spoonfuls out of a can of chicken stew from the fridge, only to realize it was dog food.

2. It was thrilling to talk with my students about the longing for completion of the soul expressed in so much ancient literature we'll be studying in our World Lit. course.

3. I watched excerpts from the Talking Heads concert movie, "Stop Making Sense" just before I went to sleep and marveled at the physical grace and stamina of David Byrnes, especially in his frantic, paranoid, satirical, aerobic performance of "Life During Wartime".

8 comments:

Katrina said...

I would love to have been a fly on the wall for that discussion. It's fascinating to me how a sense of longing is a near universal experience, and the pursuit of something to fulfill that longing such a driving force in almost every life.

I'm glad to hear you're still enjoying teaching so much! :)

Hope said...

Exhausting!!

Desert Diva said...

Maybe you need to start feeding Snug dry dog food only. ;-)

Now I'm trying to recall the movie where the wife feeds her husband (unbeknown to him) dog food...

I hope 2008 is a wonderful year for you and yours!

raymond pert said...

Desert Diva: I do feed Snug only dry food! My wife, without my knowledge, bought the Corgis some wet food. The can's label hardly pointed out that it's dog food. It look amazingly like a can of Progresso.

I learned my lesson, though! I need to be more awake!

Go Figure said...

I saw the 'Gang' give Alfalfa and Darla some cat litter in a sandwhich, once, but I don't recall every seeing someone willingly eat a "couple" of spoonfulls of dog food before. Glad you 'manned-up' and kept it 'down.' Er, by the way, what 'brand' was it? Just wondering.

myrtle beached whale said...

what are you doing, practicing for your golden years?

Love David Byrne. I think he was powered by some drugs that we can't afford.

Faith said...

"...the longing for the completion of the soul..." *sigh* don't suppose I could join your class for this topic?

and it took you a COUPLE spoonfuls to realize it wasn't chicken stew? wow.

raymond pert said...

Grey Like Sunday: It's really high quality dog food. He says weakly.