Thursday, February 7, 2008

Three Beautiful Things 02/06/08: Ethics, Mister God, Steaming

1. Antigone cannot obey the law decreed by Creon that she not bury her brother. A higher law moves her to disobey. Today in Survey of World Literature, we discussed how we live by values and do things in our lives that go against the law or that the law cannot legislate. We talked about ethics. I love talking about where the law end and ethics begin and how the great wisdom teachers, like Jesus or Buddha and Martin Luther King, Jr. were far less concerned with people developing a devotion to the law than they were with developing an ethical character.

2. Isaac came by my office and read delightful passages to me from the book Mister God, This is Anna. Not only did I find the passages wonderful to contemplate, I enjoyed being read to.

3. Zip-loc makes these steamer bags where all I have to do is stuff one with vegetables and throw it in the microwave for a few minutes and I have tender, flavorful vegetables to put over rice. It's so simple. It's so good.

1 comment:

Christy Woolum said...

I had never heard of the Zip-loc steamer bags, but I went and got some. I can't wait to try them.