Sunday, February 17, 2008

Three Beautiful Things 02/17/08: Highway 36, Bluegrass, Creeping Over the Coast Range

1. It's a serpentine state highway winding west from Highway 99 near Junction City to Mapleton, Oregon. Highway 36 features farmland, Triangle Lake, acres of second growth forest land, scarred patches of clear cut forest land, the swelling Siuslaw River, intermittent cottage industries, granges, fishing holes, boat launches, and shaded curves through the Oregon Coast Range. Snug and I drove Highway 36 today. It relaxed us.

2. As Highway 36 wound downhill between Deadwood and Swisshome, KLCC's Americana music program, "The Front Porch" came on and the bluegrass and old timey music fit the landscape perfectly. It moved me.

3. A huge pickup pulling a huge horse trailer crawled between Florence and Eugene on Highway 126 and I enjoyed how slow the rest of us had to drive. I'm never in a hurry on Highway 126. I'm usually alone.

No comments: