Saturday, May 16, 2009

The Streets Sure Are Slick: Sunday Scribblings #163 Disconnect


Looking north down Kellogg's Main Street without snow and ice in the 1950's


(If you are new to my blog, my hometown is Kellogg, Idaho.)

About 4:00 this morning my Springer Spaniel, Snug, jumped off the bed, his nails whooshing across the hardwood floor, and began to head butt the bedroom door.

Sometimes he eats breakfast this early. I submitted, fed him, let him out, grabbed the morning paper, and came back to bed. Snug soon joined me and we both fell back asleep.

Within seconds, I dreamed.

I was uptown in Kellogg. It was Monday. The grounds at St. Rita's Roman Catholic church had been expanded, and I helped plant new trees in the winter ground, joking that it was a good thing Father King was on vacation or else the money to do this would never get spent.

Landscaping parishioners included my good friend Timothy Patrick O'Reilly and in my dream we hadn't seen each other since high school and we smiled broadly and couldn't figure out how to shake hands with each other: High five? Give each other skin? Traditional shake? Drug brotherhood peace shake? We mimed them all and laughed and laughed.

I had parked my little Jonathan apple colored 1993 Honda Civic on Main Street in front of the old Masonic Hall. I tried to get out, but I got stuck in a small berm by the sidewalk. I gunned the engine, extracted myself and started going backwards, downhill, down the slick ice of Main Street.

My car moved slowly, but out of control. I slid past the old Liberty Theater and Joe and Henry's and Ford Hoback's variety store and tried to steer out of my backward slide but I just kept sliding past Sass's Jewelery, Patano's Apparel, and then toward the intersection of McKinley and Main.

Just north of this intersection rests the Shoshone Funeral Home and giant broad shouldered pot-bellied mountain men with Z Z Top beards dressed in church clothes were making their way across Main Street, on their way to a funeral.

I couldn't stop the car. I hit one, two, several of them and could only see their purple and swollen and enraged faces, first through the driver's window, and then in my rear view mirror.

My Honda came to a stop near the Shoshone Funeral Home. I got out of my car and no one seemed the least concerned about what had happened. I wondered if anyone had called 911, but I was met with contented, indifferent faces, the faces of people about to attend a funeral.

Suddenly, a police officer appeared. It was Dana Bisaro. He was freaked out.

I asked, "Do I have anything to be worried about?"

"Worried about? Those guys up there have you scoped, man!"

I looked back toward the intersection of Main and McKinley.

At least three of the giant bearded mountain men in church clothes were armed with .338 Winchester Magnum rifles and had me in the cross hairs of their 2-8x Burris Signature scopes.

I shook myself awake.

I can't make sense of this dream.

It came from inside me.

I feel completely disconnected from it.

To read more Sunday Scribblings on the topic "disconnect", go here.

13 comments:

Dee Martin said...

Wow dude - what did you eat before bed LOL? Good read.

George S Batty said...

I never feed my dogs without a cup of coffee first. Then I can't sleep. Probably your dogs tail was tickling your nose. Fun story. I guess it is true that you never die in your own dreams.

raymond pert said...

Dee: I ate a mixed bowl of Uncle Sam's and granola. Maybe that did it!

Old Grizz: After over 55 years of dreaming, I hadn't thought about the fact that we never die in our own dreams. Yer right. My dream proves it!

TJ said...

what a dream. amazing detail.

A Girl Named Me said...

I love dreams and dream interpretations! This is a good one.

Make me wonder .... in what ways do you feel out of control (as the car) in your life .. and who do you think isn't caring about that situation?

Or...it was the granola!

xoxo

raymond pert said...

A Girl Named Me: I had the first thought flit through my mind when I awoke from the dream and I think it's why I made sure to write in my post that the car was out of control.

I hadn't thought about the contented, oblivious mourners...yeah, who isn't caring?

But what about those ZZ Top beer bellied mountain men and their rifles? Pretty threatening.

Thanks for offering your interpretation...if anything else comes to mind, I hope you'll drop by and comment some more!

TJ I read your comment and then I re read my post and you are right...the detail works. I appreciate your comment.

Americanising Desi said...

dreams have always had a message for me and hence i love the interpretation!

good read mate!

Happy SS
http://whenhekissesher.wordpress.com/2009/05/16/disconnected/

Marja said...

A bit of a nightmare fantastically described

GreenishLady said...

Dreams are certainly fascinating, and one of the things I find most wonderful is that two people having similar dreams might have totally different meanings for them, and for the events or symbols in the dream, so the things that "hook" me from this are what links into MY ideas and experiences, really. But, in saying that, what captured my attention most was the sliding backwards, and the fact that the dream brought you back to your older life too (yes? That's my assumption). Is there a call to nostalgia? Too much?

Thanks for sharing this one!

Songwraith said...

Wow! You might need the Raymond Pert whisperer for this one! There's obviously some (somehow) related memory shards trying to tell you something. Interesting and entertaining!

Tumblewords: said...

On the other hand. The streets are truly slick and cars do slide backward. And there are more of the ZZ-ers wielding nasty vibes and guns. Glad you're disconnected from it!

kurt said...

Sounds like preconscious summoning of dali's p-cm. Way to keep it real.

The Shoshone Conservative said...

Father King at St. Rita's - that's going back a few years... Just out of curiosity, was it Coleman or George?