Friday, March 12, 2010

Three Beautiful Things 03/12/10: Dari Mart Street Cred, Coffee Solutions, Freedom of the Mind

1. Harmless Community College Instructor Treated Like Gangsta

That's my headline for today. I stopped by Dari Mart for a coffee and cinnamon twist and as I was pumping my brew, a Dari Mart employee stepped into the store from a back room and said, "Sir, you must put your hood down in the store." I suddenly realized I was wearing my ghetto gear: my maroon North Idaho College hoodie -- and my hood was up. I recoiled. I complied. With a twinkle in my eye, I fake complained: "Now the world will see my unkempt hair." The Dari Mart lady sized me up and replied, "You look mahvehlous."

Wow. In a mere thirty seconds I was street and got flattered. Not bad for a harmless community college instructor.


2. Margaret, Jeff, Michael, and I hadn't had coffee together for a while and it shows. Look at all that's gone askew in the world. I'm happy to say, thougt, that we sat and talked for nearly three hours this afternoon and I think you and the rest of the world will see that things have already improved as we pretty much figured everything out.

3. My ENG 106 student, Kate, and I sat down for our weekly 11:00 talk and we sprang from reading Stephen Crane's poem, "Do Not Weep, Maiden, for War is Kind" to discussing what it means to develop and cherish a free mind. It's challenging.

1 comment:

Christy Woolum said...

I just read that they were going to ban hoods around here. I think it was Spokane. I guess you will have to start combing your hair! lol