Thursday, June 24, 2010

Three Beautiful Things 06/23/2010: World Cup Hustle, Yard and Garden Tour, Hannah

1. As a sports fan, I love the hustle play: diving for loose balls in basketball or never giving up on a rebound, a fielder extending his whole body, diving to snare a liner; in golf, it's the scrambler, the player who turns what looks like a bogey into a par with imaginative shot making out of trouble. I watched the replay of Landon Donovan's winning goal against Algeria, and my to my untrained eye (I don't know jack about soccer), it looked like he made a great hustle play. It was thrilling in replay. It must have been exhilarating live, especially to the knowledgeable soccer fan.

2. I did a full tour of the yard and garden, watered everything, and overall things look solid. I'm still trying to figure out how I want to photograph our yards' new look....I think it will require a ladder.

3. I've noticed Hannah before at Trader Joe's. She's earnest, eager to help customers, very friendly, and kind. I saw her one time, as a civilian, at Barnes and Noble, and she was exactly the same way in the conversation she was having with a friend. I was in her check out line today and marveled at how she handled two potentially challenging situations ahead of me. Both customers left the store happy. She didn't say anything to me as she started checking out my stuff. No exasperation. No shaking of the head. No rolling of the eyes. Just a cheery "find everything okay?" a quick praise of my extra sharp cheddar cheese, and, in no time, I was on my way.

No comments: