Friday, July 23, 2010

Three Beautiful Things 07/22/10: Naked Tyson, Naked Nixon, Beaming at Billy Mac's.

1. James Toback's movie Tyson is naked. Mike Tyson unfolds his dark, complex, lonely, frightened, angry soul in this unsettling movie. The boxing scenes reminded me of what a force Mike Tyson was in the ring for several years. It's still astonishing to see him lose to Buster Douglas. His comments in the ring to Jim Gray after losing his career ending match to Kevin McBride are so anguished it's almost unbearable to watch.

2. Speaking of naked, I watched the first fifty minutes of the Frost/Nixon Watergate interview, first telecast in May, 1977. I have about twenty-five minutes to go. Slowly, Nixon's inner shields drop away. It's much more compelling to me now than it was when I watched this interview thirty-three years ago.

3. No one was naked at Billy Mac's. I enjoyed another convivial couple of hours of conversation, laughs, margaritas, and chicken tacos. I beamed.

No comments: