Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Three Beautiful Things 08/06/10: Coffee with Benson, Reunion Activity, Seeing Juli Soini

1. I went for coffee with the fellas at Johnny's Bar and Wayne Benson couldn't make it, so I went to his house and we had a great visit.

2. The Kellogg High School All-Class reunion got under way and I listened to the testimonies of many Kellogg grads as they remembered Mr. Exum and then I went to the teachers and staff reception at Memorial Hall with Mom and saw many teachers I'd had as well as old friends, including Dick Costa. I hadn't seen Dick since Carol's 40th birthday party in 2003 and we picked up right where we left off, both at the reception and later at Eddie Joe's.

3. The most pleasant and and most deeply touching surprise of the weekend occurred at Eddie Joe's, out in the street, when I met Juli Soini, the sister of John Soini, my now deceased roommate during our sophomore year at NIC. I hadn't remembered meeting Juli before, and to be with John's sister, to hold her in a long hug, to talk about John and to see his face in hers moved me and will stay with me for a long time.

No comments: