Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Three Beautiful Things 01/11/11: I Kept My Shirt On, Herman's Back, Needling Herman

1.  I've got this MLA stuff to teach and it is dry as a dead dog's bones.  So, I try to enliven it with humor and try to make things melodramatic with the hope that my students will remember things.  Today I told both classes that I thought they would remember that in MLA format everything is double-spaced if I took my shirt off.  They decided that the thought of such a heinous thing was good enough.  I didn't need to do that.  One or two students, in fact, said something about barf bags.  Agreed.  I'm not Adonis.  More like a Haystack.

2.  Herman swung by in his wheelchair.  He's the toughest person I've ever known, I swear.  He's been in the hospital for many weeks over the last few months, always seems about ready to die, and then, lo and behold, he shows back up on campus, he's ready to help the special needs employees he assists with, ready to help with the union, and is always full of opinions, insights, news, views, and funny stories.  Herman hates Chip Kelley.  His rant was really funny.  So were his comments about his niece who is having a baby fathered by a Duck player.  For a guy who spends so much time in the hospital in his 70's, Herman sure knows a lot and no matter how run down he is, he always has great stories to tell.

3.  Herman wheeled away from my office and met Siskanna, via an introduction from MB, and Siskanna kindly said, "Nice to meet you."  I sealed my friendship with Herman forever when I sprang from my office chair, bolted into the hallway, and declared, "No it's not.  It's not nice to meet you Herman.  You be honest, Herman.  Admit it.  It's not nice to meet you."  He laughed as hard as his lousy health would allow and when he wheeled by my office about fifteen minutes later to leave our part of the building, we exchanged heartfelt best wishes to each other.  I'm always afraid when I see Herman and when we say, "See you later" , it will be the last time.

No comments: