Saturday, February 12, 2011

Sibling Assignment #145: Looking Forward Is Not My Strong Suit

Silver Valley Girl gave this last assignment for January. We are all just a bit behind. "What are some things you are looking forward to in the year ahead?"  InlandEmpireGirl illustrates her hopes with gorgeous pictures, here.  Silver Valley Girl has a lot going on these days.  She hopes to find time to blog again, but it might be a while.

What are some things I am looking forward to in the year ahead?

I don't know.

I really don't know.

It must be the way I'm wired or something.

I don't often look forward to things. 

I honestly never know what's going to come, so I'm rarely looking forward.

I'm not a goal setter, so I don't look forward to meeting goals.

Plans change, things I thought might happen, don't.  

I just don't know.

But, I guess know of a few things I can look forward to:

I can look forward to the LCC production of "Taming of the Shrew" (unless I get booted from the cast, which I doubt will happen; but it could, I guess).  Our cast begins working in earnest on Feb. 14th and I look forward to that.

I think Adrienne and Molly and their families will come to Eugene in July.  Until I know they are coming, I can't really look forward to it, but once I do know, I'll look forward to seeing everyone.

I don't know when I'm going to Kellogg next.  I do know that my work as the Visiting Writer for the NIWP Writing Retreat is no longer affordable, so I don't have that to look forward to.  The last two years, I've linked my work at that retreat with a visit to Kellogg, but I don't know what's going to happen this year.

I hope for things:  reunions with friends, visits with family, successful picture snapping, meeting face to face people I currently only know virtually.  But until I know any of these things are happening, I am incapable of looking forward to them.

I suppose because I don't look forward to things, I get surprised a lot. 

What?  There's a get together of Kellogg friends in (name the month)?

What?  (Fill in the blank) is/are coming to Eugene?

What?  I can go to Kellogg this month?

What?  You enjoyed WR 121?  That's great!  What a wonderful surprise.

What?  I get to teach (fill in the blank).  That'll be fun!

I just never know.

It seems to be the way I'm wired.

No comments: