Friday, March 4, 2011

Three Beautiful Things 03/02/11: Big Laugh, Big Idea, Big Chicken Taste

1.  All I can say is that I can't remember when a class of students laughed so hard and long:  I stopped class for a minute because I had a big sneeze coming and it was really slow coming.  I turned my back to the class and finally the sneeze came. A student:   "We thought you were having a heart attack." That got a chuckle.  Shannon:  "I thought you were starting to cry because you haven't gotten back your Dylan Thomas cds yet."   Brought the house down.  I know you had to be there, but I want a record of that moment.  It's been a long time since a class of students laughed so hard.

2.  Today we reached the point in Introduction to Poetry where I thought one of my favorite ideas would make sense:  Our emotions, our feelings are a mess.  Poetry structures our emotions, structures our feelings.  I elaborated.  I think some of my students, after about eight weeks of poetry understood what I meant.  (The idea is not original with me.)

3.  That whole chicken I started to slow cook in the morning tasted really good by six this evening:  so did the onions and potatoes.

No comments: