Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Three Beautiful Things 02/28/11: Acting Poetry, Acting Comedy, Acting Random

1.  I deeply enjoy that time in my Introduction to Poetry course every time I get to teach it when we study "My Last Duchess" because I get to act it out.  I wonder sometimes if my students think I'm a total nut.  In a good way.

2.  It's sure fun playing comedy and I'm not alone having fun.  I see the inexperienced actors starting to get it that Shakespeare is one funny guy, in ways they might not have really imagined.

3.  We started to work on Christopher Sly's out of the blue theater of the absurd moment, his moment when he forgets that he's watching a play, and I think it's going to be really funny.  It'll be really invigorating on down the road to have an audience experience this particular moment.  If I were nineteen instead of fifty-seven years old, I'd say, "It's so random."  (But it's not epic.)

No comments: