Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Three Beautiful Things 08/25/2011: Television News, Rana's Wedding, Pot Roast

1.  I don't have television service in Eugene, so when I go to Mom's, I see the world in a whole new way and today I found myself hooked on the developing story of Hurricane Irene and the ongoing story of the upheaval in Lybia.  Normally I learn about such events by listening to the radio or by reading written accounts and looking at pictures on the World Wide Web.  Television intensifies these events and I sure got drawn into the intensity of it all.

2.  Today I watched Palestinian director Hany Abu-Assad's movie, "Rana's Wedding". I'm always looking for movies that show the world through the eyes of everyday Palestinians and this movie was superb.  The movie was shot in East Jerusalem and Ramallah and chronicles the efforts of Rana to find her lover and marry him within a ten hour time frame.  She has to negotiate check points, overcome roadblocks, witness protests and rock throwers, and deal with miles of red tape.  From this story's point of view, living with the conflict between Israel and the Palestinians going on all around her, is absurd for Rana and her lover, and the movie goes well beyond being about her mission to get married and becomes about the world Rana lives in.  I enjoyed the movie's humor, the absurdities of Palestinian life, and the logical and absurd conclusion the movie came to.  Rana is played by the most wonderful Clara Khoury, who also is the central character in "The Syrian Bride".

3.  Mom got out her electric frying pan today and cooked a delicious pot roast.  I took mental notes. 

No comments: