Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Three Beautiful Things 08/28/2011: Travel Plans, The Radio's On, Petrol Delay

1.  So that I could be in court for an important hearing regarding the vacating of the Protective Stalking Order protecting MB, I left Kellogg a day earlier than planned.  I didn't leave in the cool of the morning, so I left about two in the afternoon so that I would be driving in heat for the first few hours of my drive, but would enjoy the cooler temperatures of the evening as the sun set and darkness fell in the later part of my drive.  My plan worked very well, although I didn't arrive back in Eugene until after midnight.

2.  I listened to a variety of radio documentary programs as well as news reports on a variety of radio channels on XM radio.  I heard a story about the trial of an adult woman who killed her own mother at the age of fourteen, another story about the world garbage problem, and still another about heart disease and diet.  I didn't listen to any music on my long drive, but instead was absorbed by these features and by the news of Hurrican Irene and its aftermath as it pounded New England.

3.  The Dalles.  Safeway gas.  Nine pumps.  One attendant.  Five cars.  One customer had the attendant fill five five-gallon gas cans.  It's against the law to pump one's own gas in Oregon.  Fortunately, I brought a quarter pounder and a large order of fries with me and finished my supper while I waited for the harried kid to pump my gas.

No comments: