Sunday, October 9, 2011

Three Beautiful Things 10/06/11: Group Fail/Conversation Success, Pint and a Half at 16 Tons, Nerd Games

1.  Carolyn and I got ourselves all prepared to lead a group discussion of the chapter on beauty in Bass's "Christianity for the Rest of Us" and only the group's host, Shelly, showed up.  So, Shelly, Carolyn, and I had a really enjoyable conversation about the Ducks, the city of Eugene, flowers, painting, and a host of other things and left hoping that the Friday group is for real and not a mirage!

2.  I popped into Sixteen Tons late in the afternoon and had my mind made up that I wanted two beers I'd never tried before and that I would limit myself to a pint and a half (rather than my usual two pints).  I enjoyed my first winter ale, a half pint of Oakshire's Ill-Tempered Gnome, a tasty brown ale, combining sweetness and hoppy bitterness.  For years, I've seen the label on bottles of Lost Coast 8-Ball Stout, but never bought one.  Seeing it on tap at Sixteen Tons and being on a stout kick lately inspired me to try it out.  I really like 8-Ball a lot.  I think many like the Porterhouse Wrasslers XXXX Stout better because it's a dry Irish Stout and hoppier.  I really like the Wrasslers XXXX Stout, but I might have enjoyed the 8-Ball a wee bit more.  I'm not as crazy about the hoppy finish as a lot of people around here are.  About 8-Ball, I must borrow an old bit from Tony Kornheiser:  Rack 'em!

3.   Samantha found out that the 'Wich House hosts nerd game night on Fridays, and so the Deke and Samantha and I went to check it out.  As expected, I saw a couple of my former students and I think Samantha found out what she wanted by observing the games from our table.  The food?  Superb!  My tuna melt on wheat  focaccia tasted great, as did the cup of ginger chicken soup.  The three of us had a wonderful time together. 


No comments: