Thursday, December 15, 2011

Three Beautiful Things 12/14/11: Coffee, Dreams, Jazz

1.  MB, JH, MM, and I had a spirited conversation over coffee today.  I think more than anything, we would like to enjoy our discipline with our fellow instructors by spending more time discussing poem, stories, novels, plays, essays, movies, etc.  In every department I've worked in, most of my conversation, in meetings, with other faculty has been focused on the business of how the college operates.  Or on how the state is lowering the boom about something.  I'd like to spend some time discussing Jane Austen.  Or Shakespeare.  Or a poem.  I could be a stimulating way to spend professional time together.

2.  The Deke and I dreamed today at 16 Tons.  We'll see what dreams come true.  For the record, I enjoyed a pint of tasty Heater Allen Coastal Common and then I was entranced by Flat Tail's De La Rose and enjoyed three half pints of it. 

3.  I had fun listening to Buddy Rich, Maynard Ferguson, and Chase on YouTube, all inspired, somehow, by hearing Diana Krall sing "Popsicle Toes" on XM Radio.

No comments: