Monday, December 19, 2011

Three Beautiful Things 12/18/11: Shoes, Isaiah 9:2-7, Tasty Ales

1.  I am really bad about buying myself new shoes (or new anything to wear).  The everyday shoes I've been wearing for the last couple of years are a wreck:  the soles are coming apart from the shoe, the surface is peeling -- in short, they look awful.  The Deke delivered me from my bad shoe state today and bought me a pair of black shoes.  I never would have bought them for myself.  They are too good.  I'm grateful to have such a solid pair of shoes. 

2.  I enjoyed reading Isaiah 9:2-7 at this evening's Service of Lessons and Carols at St. Mary's.  The most memorable part of this passage (Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace) is sung in Handel's The Messiah and it's fun to read these words aloud and try to give them a life of their own, unique from the way they are sung in The Messiah

3.  The Deke met the Troxstar (who read like a Troxstar from Micah at the Service of Lessons and Carols) and me at Sixteen Tons after the service and we had a great time gabbing, entertaining each other, laughing, and, when appropriate, sharing some somber moments.   Sixteen Tons was pretty quiet, the beer was really good, and we drank exactly the right amount before returning home to continue our evening.  I enjoyed half pints of Dogfish Head Namaste, a scrumptious, refreshing Belgian-style White made with dried organic orange slices, fresh cut lemongrass and a bit of coriander, of Flat Tail De La Rose, and, also from Flat Tail, and fermented in the same barrels with the same trappist sake yeast blend as the De La Rose and re-fermented with baked green apples and cinnamon bark, a half pint of Mama Duncan Apple Beer, a most refreshing topper.

No comments: