Friday, November 23, 2012

Three Beautiful Things 11/22/12: Church, Evacuation, Dinner

1.  I attended our Thanksgiving service this morning at St. Mary's Episcopal Church and was the lector.  I loved reading this magnificent passage: Joel:  2:21-27.   The Rev. Betsy Tesi delivered a smart, sometimes funny, and most insightful sermon exploring how easy it is to be thankful, but how difficult it is to be trusting, not to worry.  It was the best Thanksgiving sermon I've ever heard. 

2.  I went on a neighborhood stroll with my camera and was immediately struck by how vacant the neighborhood was, as if I lived in a Zone A evacuation zone: empty park, empty porches, empty alleys, empty streets.  When I did see any humans, they either seemed to be peering into the emptiness or, in one case, contemplating the wisdom of breeding. 



3.  The Deke fixed our Thanksgiving dinner and it was perfect:  roasted turkey, baked yams, cranberry-apple-orange relish, dressing made from wheat bread, chanterelle mushrooms, leeks, and turkey, and a splendid gravy.  I love sweetish white wine with turkey and so we had a bottle of Gewürztraminer,  It was a perfect meal and its leftovers will last us for a good while.

No comments: