Thursday, December 20, 2012

Three Beautiful Things 12/19/12: Thanks David, Rest, Adult Beverage Medicine

1.  I was very grateful today for a comment David, a former fellow instructor at LCC, made to me on Facebook:  All that really matters is that I'm happy with my pictures.  I'm not educated in the arts of picture taking.  I learn as I go and tend to conform my pictures to my own sense of what looks good or what I enjoy -- mostly the latter. Too often, when I read learned comments about others' pictures, they sound like template comments.  It is as if a template of standards exists for what makes a good picture and the learned picture commenters judge the beauty of picture by whether they meet these predetermined standards.  It's why a lot of the language in picture talk repeats itself.  It's the same with writing -- often when I read what's said about what makes good writing, I know before I read itwhat's going to come and those predetermined standards, when followed, standarized, uniform writing, not uniqueness.  It was the same when I sought out therapy when I was struggling with depression.  My well-intentioned therapists had a rubric, a profile, based on studies, based on research, and talked with in terms of this rubric.  I wanted to explore the particularities of my own experience with depression.  I didn't want to explore depression with a thousand faces, the monomythic hero of depression.  So, I'll keep taking pictures, trying to keep my mind free of others' standards -- except when they are helpful and figure I won't be a contest winner or anything like that because when I read judges' comments, they always have that rubric sound to them.  It's the same with teaching --  rubrics, outcomes, course objectives are abstract and do not take into account the particularities of each student, the unique, erratic, non-linear, and unpredictable timeline of each student's way of learning -- nor do these rubrics take into account the uniqueness of each classroom of students.  Maybe you can tell, if you are still reading this long beautiful thing:  I am working to retire myself, with mixed success, from institutional ways of approaching as many aspects of my life as I can:  taking pictures, writing, Shakespeare, poetry, therapy, teaching....and on and on.  So far, though, I've surrendered my kidney to the blood test rubrics.

2.  I don't remember the last time I was ill.  Today I've been fighting a sore throat and some chest congestion.  I'm grateful that I'm on a break from school and could rest, nap, and help myself improve.

3.  After dinner, I thought -- hmmmm -- maybe an adult hot water beverage or two would help me recover.  So, I got in my adult car and drove to the adult liquor store and bought an adult pint each of Seagram's VO, Christian Brothers' brandy, and Meyer's dark rum.  I combined a dose of each adult liquor into an adult mug with hot water, honey, and lemon juice.  Heh.  I don't know if was medicinal, but it sure was good. 

No comments: