Thursday, December 27, 2012

Three Beautiful Things 12/26/12: Good Kidney Report, Delta Ponds Geography, Hot Wings

1.  I found out eight years ago that I have Stage IV chronic kidney disease.  I don't know how long I had had it before I found out. When I was recovering from bacterial meningitis in 1999, one concern was that I might have suffered kidney damage.  I remember being told that I hadn't, but I wonder if someone made a mistake and, in fact, I did suffer kidney damage then.  Ever since I was diagnosed, eight years ago, the doctors' primary concern is that the blood tests they use to measure the kidneys' function don't change much -- and especially that my function doesn't decline more.  I've had one dip in function, back in 2009, when pneumonia and c-diff dehydrated me, but I regained some of the lost function and my numbers are remaining steady.  This is the news I received at the nephrologist today.  No change.  No decline.  The numbers, within the fact of my disease, remain solid.  The disease is not progressing.  This was very good news.  I have been feeling great and, luckily, feeling good has not been masking other problems.  My blood pressure is also good.  That's really important.

2.  Before I went to the doctor, I took a geographical tour of the Delta Ponds.  I realized after talking with Anne on Christmas afternoon that I had east and west mixed up and today I was happy to get it all straightened out in my mind -- and with my legs.

3.  Good doctor's report.  Good geographical clarification. What's a guy do?  Fix hot wings, that's what.  It turns out that I ate Christmas dinner with the Troxstar family, so I had the dinner I had planned for Christmas today.  I'll admit:  hot wings are more fun to eat with other people than alone, but they were still very enjoyable, as were the celery sticks dipped in Litehouse Chunky Blue Cheese dressing.

No comments: