Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Three Beautiful Things 01/08/13: Back to Work, Back to Shakespeare, Back to the Future

1.  Back to work today.  Once again, I'm teaching two sections of WR 115.  My opening words to the class?  "I'm on your side.  I'm your ally.  If you have any conflict with me, it will be because you initiated it."  If the student cheats, yammers during class, is chronically late, and so on, I confront these things and sometimes this causes conflict.  But it doesn't come from me.  I'm not the one who cheated or was disrespectful.  When I teach, I'm not looking for trouble, but, alas, sometimes it comes looking for me.

2.  Jay found a dictionary of passages from Shakespeare for 49 cents at Goodwill and gave it to me.  It was a welcomed surprise when I found it in my mailbox at school and gave me pleasure as I read passages from different plays about happiness, war, and other subjects while I waited for the bus.  I didn't find any passages related to mass transit.

3.  Deke called and suggested we meet at Cornucopia.  I got off the bus at Safeway and trudged the five or six blocks over to 'copia and ordered Ninkasi's American Pale Ale, El Dorado.  I was pleased with how light and refreshing it was and it didn't overwhelm me with bitterness.  I ordered a couple of (cheater) pints and enjoyed three sliders and some fries.  Deke and I discussed our ever elusive future.  What ARE we gonna do?  It was fun to come up with about 50 new scenarios. 

No comments: