Monday, February 25, 2013

Three Beautiful Things 02/24/13: Kingfisher Landscape, Bowling Memories, Hijinx During the Academy Awards

1.  I went to Delta Ponds and walked and took some pictures.  I continued my quest to take landscape pictures of Delta Ponds.  Yes, I enjoy taking pictures of birds and people and details of foliage and trees, but I want to also give and have pictures of the landscape of Delta Ponds, what I think of as the big picture.  I can't tell if these pictures succeed.  A woman stopped me today.  Because I carry a camera, people think I know way more than I do.  She wanted me to see a kingfisher up in a tree on the other side of a pond.  I saw it several times but didn't know that was the bird she was referring to.  For some reason, I thought a kingfisher was a big bird.  I finally figured out that the small to medium sized bird I repeatedly saw was the one she patiently and insistently was pointing out.  I could tell she realized she'd misjudged my bird knowledge and she walked away with that "he's an idiot" skip in her step.  Oh!  Here's a landscape picture from this afternoon:




2.  The Deke and I went out to Sixteen Tons for a drink before dinner and Nate popped in on his way to go bowling and the Deke got really enthused telling Nate about her grandparents owning a bowling alley in downtown Bedford, IN and living in an apartment above the bowling alley and how she and her brother couldn't sleep at night with the pins thundering below and how her grandparents' eight lane alley slowly went out of business when Brunswick built a shiny new sixteen lane alley just out of town. Deke's grandparents got Wal-Marted by Brunswick. 

3.  I decided to go on Facebook and act like I was watching Academy Award shows from the last forty years.  It meant every prediction I made was right.  For example, Art Carney's upset of Al Pacino, Dustin Hoffman, and Jack Nicholson for best actor in 1974.  I think I enjoyed reliving past Oscar shows and writing about them more than I would have enjoyed watching last night's show live if I had a television.  I was having too much fun to check out if the broadcast was streaming on the Wide World of Webs.

No comments: