Saturday, June 8, 2013

Three Beautiful Things 06/07/13: Theater First, It's Coming Together, New Friend at Billy Mac's

1.  I can't do everything.  That's what it comes down to.  This evening a party to celebrate the retirement of MB was in conflict with the second dress rehearsal of the Shakespeare Showcase.  I couldn't do both.  I decided, with MB's blessing, that I had to and wanted to fulfill my obligation to the theater.  While I'm sad to have missed the celebration, I am very happy I was there to do my part to get the Showcase rehearsed so the actors know what to expect from me as the show's narrator and guide.  Predictability, stability, calm, and order are so important in any kind of theater performance and I contributed all of that to both rehearsals at the expense of what would have been a really good time celebrating MB and spending time with people I've worked with for many, many years. 

2.  Showcase dress rehearsals are tech rehearsals, too, and so they go slowly.  In every theater production I've been in, I've loved watching the lights, sound effects, and other tech. details be added into the show and I've never lost my wonder for how tech decisions are made and implemented and how the whole show slowly and surely comes together. 

3.  After rehearsal, the Deke came out to LCC to pick me up.  We went to Billy Mac's and lo and behold the people we met the other night at the bar were there again.  I talked a lot with Danny from Kansas who had traveled out here to help a friend in an assisted living place.  He's been here a week, leaves soon, and established himself, with the Billy Mac's servers and with some of us regulars, as a really good guy.  I know if he returns to Eugene, I can count on seeing him again at Billy Mac's.  He loved the place, the food, the atmosphere, and the people who work and hang out there.

No comments: