Sunday, June 9, 2013

Three Beautiful Things 06/08/13: Working with Sparky, Shakespeare Showcase Pleasure, Farewell to Jesse

1.  I got up bright and early to work on the Showcase script, putting it all in order, making sure the edits were weaved in, trying to make it as tight as possible for the performances today.  Sparky writes the script, I read it aloud at rehearsals and for the shows, and together we edit it.  We work together perfectly.

2.  The deepest pleasure I derive from being a part of the Shakespeare Showcase is to see how much different actors grow and develop.  I thought a lot today about the early performances I saw of Radhika and Tasha.  They were always earnest, but, in the early days, about two years ago, they were hesitant.  They tended toward retreat on stage rather than fearlessly expressing their characters.  The stage is not the place to be introverted.  Now, they have become extroverted, much more confident, even radiant.  I loved seeing their radiance in both performances today.

For other actors, most whom I've never seen before, the growth that happened between dress/tech rehearsal, matinee, and evening gave me joy.  What a difference a first live performance makes when it comes time to do the second one.  It's where much of the joy of being a part of the Showcase comes from:  seeing mostly inexperienced actors gain a bit confidence and improve.

3.  Quite a night at Sixteen Tons!  "Man, it's packed in here!" I said.  "Yeah.  No surprise.  Jesse is an instution," said the bearded guy.  It was a great farewell as Jesse leaves Eugene and his job at Sixteen Tons to begin his studies at medical school. 

No comments: