Monday, June 10, 2013

Three Beautiful Things 06/09/13: First-Rate Sermon, Salad Day, LaBron James Needs to Score More?

1.  Loren Crow's sermon today sharpened vague thoughts and feelings I've had about mission, feeling abandoned, resurrection, and, in a way he might not have expected, the way that the biblical readings during the Season of Pentecost take us more deeply into the profound nature of Ordinary Time.

2.  I made a delicious salad today using sweet brown rice and all the other ingredients I enjoy so much:  cucumber, tomato, almonds, feta cheese, olive oil, lemon, and parsley.   I also cooked up a batch of black beans to chill overnight and will make another salad using them.

3.  Especially because he had an average game scoring, my growing admiration for LaBron James grew again tonight as I listened to the Heat defeat the Spurs on the radio and as I  read descriptions of his play tonight.  I can't think of a player who has ever been so good in so many ways as LaBron James.  He sees the floor brilliantly, gets his teammates the ball right where they want it, rebounds, blocks shot, shuts down whomever he guards, and is willing to guard the other team's best player. And he can score from the post, the 3 line, as well as from mid-range. His jump shot looks about 400 thousand times better now than it did even three or four years ago.  He's smart, imaginative, and his courage is growing.  I think "best ever" debates are futile.  But in this moment in time, in this current version of the NBA, and within the framework of how the Heat play the game, LaBron James is a force. 

No comments: