Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Three Beautiful Things 06/24/13: Visiting the Hansens, Theology at Powell's, Henry's at 12th, Bonus: 'Hawks Win!

1.  Such a great day!  Christy and I gathered ourselves and drove to the gorgeous home and grounds of Jane and James Hansen.  I have known Jane for forty years, although we just got back in touch with each other in the last four years or so.  Jane gave Christy and me a tour of their very smartly remodeled home, of Jim's studio and gallery, and of the peaceful grounds of their home.  I talked with Jim about writing and Dan Brown while Jane prepared us a superb lunch of salmon and green salad.  Christy and Jane had never met:  they hit it off really well.  It was a smashing several hours together. 

2. After a period of rest at our room, Christy and I headed to Powell's City of Books.  Powell's is like a museum for me.  At museum's, I decide ahead of time what I'll focus on and I did the same thing at Powell's.  I focused all my curiosity and interest on the theology section, and, more precisely, on 20th the 20th century theologians Paul Tillich, Dietrich Bonhoeffer, Rudolf Bultmann, and Richard Niebuhr.  I bought a few books.  Many I hoped to find weren't there.  Now it's time to enjoy these great thinkers who wrestle with the great philosophical questions of the 20th century and what they might mean in a Christian context.  My own interest is, and has been for nearly 40 years, the Christian conversation with existentialism.  My new books will help.

3.  Near Powell's is Henry's 12th Street Tavern where Christy and I had dinner.  After what I thought was a sort of frosty start with our hostess, things warmed up immediately with our server.  She was helpful, efficient, and had a ready smile and chuckle for some of my self-mocking comments.  I couldn't eat my entire reuben sandwich, because of its size. The sandwich was a bit mild.  I wanted it to have more of a kick.  I like corned beef to have a clovey taste.  This didn't.  I didn't think the sauerkraut was very "sauer".  I wanted the Russian dressing to speak up a little.  It was too quiet.  I enjoyed the restaurant and Christy and I enjoyed each other's company.  I'd give it another try and I'd order something other than the Market House Corned Beef Reuben.  (I still, after about two years, have not found a Reuben anywhere as tasty as the one I had in Pendleton at the Prodigal Son.)

BONUS:  The Blackhawks scored two goals in seventeen seconds near the end of the hockey game and not only won Game 6, they won the Stanley Cup!  How about that Deke!!

No comments: