Saturday, June 29, 2013

Three Beautiful Things 06/28/13: Hosed, Cutch, Mama's Little Yella Pils and Fun at Sixteen Tons

1.  I bought one of those things to roll up a garden hose with.  Now the front yard hose is rolled up on this thing rather than coiled on the ground.  Not having the hose coiled on the ground leaves a space open for a miniature rose.  I'll be preparing the ground and planting this rose a.s.a.p.  This is a big deal for me.

2.  The Cutch called me earlier this calendar year about getting together with him and Peter this September and I lost track of the call and hoped he'd call back or get a hold of me another way and today, in the mail, I received a micro version of "Waiting for Godot" from Cutch and Peter with an email address, so I emailed Cutch and our reunion in September is on.  I'm thrilled.  Big time.

3.  I hadn't been to Sixteen Tons for a while and the scene there made me feel good.  At one table a half a dozen or so men and women of all ages brought carrots, chips, dip, and other snacks and drank a bit of beer and were talking and laughing.  At another table, two young men and a woman were playing one of those special card games, not with a 52 card deck, but with cards that come in a game box.  They were enthralled and having a great time.  I sat at the end of a table where a young man and woman were playing rummy on the the other end.  A guy was in the corner drinking a beer and studying.  My bet:  a law student.  I sat quietly, smiling inside, and, upon Mike's recommendation drank a pint can of  Occidental Kolsch (nearly a perfect beer) and then, upon orders from Terry Turner, drank a pint can of Mama's Little Yella Pils from Oskar Blues.  It was a very interesting pilsner.  I've got to try another when it's the only beer I'm drinking because I thought it had something going on in it that bordered on being a saison.

I'd be interested if any other saison drinkers who've tried the Little Yella Pils have had this experience.

1 comment:

Desert Diva said...

It's nice that you have a space to plant your miniature rose now.

Sixteen Tons sounds like a cool place to just hang out. Maybe I'll make it there later this summer...