Thursday, July 4, 2013

Three Beautiful Things 07/03/13: Clearing the Way for Flowers, Tillich and Spinoza, Drinkin' from the Firkin

1.  Well, that area underneath the bathroom window and underneath my room's window is about 90% cleared of weeks and the calla lilies are out, with bulbs in a paper bag, and now it's a matter of finishing the weeding, putting the new soil in, and deciding what to plant in this spot that gets about three hours of afternoon sun, but is in the shade all morning and later in the afternoon and evening.

2.  Slowly, but not quite surely, I'm starting to understand the distinctions Paul Tillich draws between the Stoics and Spinoza.  His treatment of Nietzsche is next. It's a good workout, but like many good workouts, it is slow going. 

3.  I planned my reading and errands this afternoon to be done just before 5:00 so that I'd arrive at the Bier Stein just about the time they tapped the Firestone Walker firkin.  It had been advertised as a barrel of reserve porter, which I was happy about, but when the bartender poured my glass, it wasn't the color of porter at all.  Then I learned it was Double Barrel Ale, one of my very favorite Firestone Walker beers of all.  Well, it's one of my favorite beers period.  Ahhhh...what a pleasure to drink Firestone Walker DBA from the firkin.  If it didn't inebriate me, I would have stayed all night.  But, I stayed within my limits and enjoyed the rare opportunity to drink DBA from the firkin.  Not only was the beer outstanding, but who was at the bar, but fellow English teacher Tim Shaner.  Every time we run into each other at the Bier Stein we have great conversation and that was absolutely the case today. 

No comments: