Monday, July 8, 2013

Three Beautiful Things 07/07/13: St. Mary's Mob Scene, Margarita Afternoon, New Plants Doing Great!

1.  I got to church a little early and hundreds of thousands of parishioners were still pouring out of the sanctuary after the 9:30 service having heard a youth choir from New York sing as part of the service.  I thought I'd arrived at the end of a sold out Ducks/Beaver football game.  It was fun to see such a mob looking so happy, even after a service that ran long!  Our 11:00 service was not a joyless affair; rather, it was what it always is:  low key.  I got to read from Isaiah again and I kept the great pleasure it gave me to myself and carried out my duties with appropriate attentiveness to the text and with balanced energy.

2.  After the 11:00 service ended, I came home and I don't know exactly why I decided to give in to a hankering I'd had for quite a while for some Mexican food and a couple of margaritas.  I took the sports section and the Sunday review sections of the New York Times and sat for over ninety minutes, sipping on a large and then a small margarita, eating warmed chips and salsa, enjoying Tacos al Carbon, and reading about topics as wide ranging as the Oakland A's and Oliver Sacks' reflections upon turning eighty years old.

3.   I was worried about some of of the new plantings I put in Saturday, as well as the transplanted fuchsia, but, they were doing great after their first twenty-four hours.  I'm going to believe this is a good sign. 

1 comment:

Desert Diva said...

I actually need to go back to church. I miss it, but from the two choices we have here in Las Cruces I don't like either one. I've thought about attending the Lutheran church, but since the Episcopal Church is my "chosen" spiritual home I feel a little lost. Maybe when I travel this summer, I can find my center...