Thursday, July 11, 2013

Three Beautiful Things 07/10/13: Mower Workout, Consciousness in Shakespeare, Church Cook

1.  I'm sticking with the push mower on the front yard.  The grass doesn't look like a golf course, but it's as close as I get to cross training.  When I got done, I should have asked the next door neighbor to toss the medicine ball back and forth with me.

2.  Sparky needed a sub in her Acting Shakespeare class today and I tried to illuminate the way Shakespeare examines the developing consciousness of his characters through his poetry, through the pictures the characters speak and through their preoccupations/obsessions.  We looked at Macbeth, Lady Macbeth, Friar Laurence, and Sonnet 30 with the intent of seeing what, given their words, is at the root of these characters' ways of thinking, seeing the world, and behaving.

3.  Even though the kitchen was hot, I had fun cooking dinner for a small group of people who were meeting with Father Powell to discuss making contributions to the remodel of the parish hall and the kitchen.  I did food preparation and table setting before I subbed for Sparky and returned after the class to finish cooking the food and it all turned out really good.   I was happy to be able to do both of these things this afternoon -- and, I hope, succeed at both.

No comments: