Thursday, July 25, 2013

Three Beautiful Things 07/24/13: Milk Disappearing?, Elation and Heartbreak at the Bijou Metro, Thirty Minutes of Indulgence

1.  I neglected to buy a quart of milk for my morning coffee and hot cereal and, lo and behold, I enjoyed my French press coffee black and when I chopped up some apple and put it in the five grain cereal, it tasted great.  Might milk be another source of animal protein I will limit even more in service to my kidneys? 

2. Another matinee pleasure at the Bijou Metro!   I don't know the first time I fell in love with backup singers, but I know who I fell the most strongly in love with and who I still love the most:  Edna Holt and Lynn Mabry in the Talking Heads concert movie, Stop Making Sense.  When I saw that a documentary movie about backup singers, Twenty Feet from Stardom, was playing at the Bijou Metro, my first thought:  I sure hope it features Lynn Mabry and Edna Holt (or one of them).  It did!  And it featured at least ten other backup singers in a gorgeous and uplifting and heartbreaking movie about the singers who fill out and give vitality to many of the songs we love so much.  If you see this movie, go home and find a video of the Rolling Stones singing "Gimme Shelter" without Merry Clayton on backup vocals. You won't be able to forget that song with her on backup after you've seen Twenty Feet from Stardom.  This contrast drives this whole invigorating movie. 

3.  I don't have to eliminate animal protein from my diet, but eat meat and eat dairy products in moderation.  I took care of about a week's worth of moderation this evening when I went over to Whirled Pies and ate a ten inch personal pizza with salami, pepperoni, and sausage.  A couple of pints of Oakshires 'Merican Lager rounded out my thirty minutes of indulgence perfectly. 

No comments: