Sunday, August 18, 2013

Three Beautiful Things 08/17/13: Better Head to Jerry's, Lone Pine Farm, Depression Update

1.  It's a store whose advertisement features the line, "Better head to Jerry's".  That's what I did -- for a head.  A minor emergency occurred soon after midnight and now we have a new commode in the garage awaiting installation.  I'd never seen a toilet tank just break apart and spill its water, but now I have.  I'm sure glad we have a second throne in the basement.

2.  I stocked up on a wide variety of vegetables at Lone Pine Farm.  It's kind of odd that I enjoy going out to the Lone Pine Farm several miles north of Eugene more than I enjoy walking downtown to shop at the Farmers' Market.  I guess I'm conditioned to being happier when I put all my goods in a cart and can go to one register and buy them, a convenience unavailable at the outdoor market. 

3.  For several years my day to day life was hindered by a steady state of fatigue and varying levels of depression.  It wasn't the bummed out kind of depression so much as it was a weight I carried all the time and in order to do things I had to consciously will myself to not lie around or sit around, to not sleep.  For about three years now, I have been out from under this weight.  I don't know why the fog lifted, but I'm still adjusting to having daily energy and today, as I watered the yard and garden, laundered toilet water soaked towels, headed to Jerry's, shopped at Lone Pine Farms, did more shopping at MOC, went to the bank, mixed  gin and tonics, cooked dinner, prepared a second meal for the future, and had a routinely productive day, I marveled for a few minutes at how much lighter and better my life is these days when I'm not fighting the illness that was with me for years.  It's more than I'm in a better mood.  I love doing things like working in the yard and I'm freer to do stuff free of the dread that my activity would exhaust me, leave me nearly useless.  Every day I'm grateful for this improvement and I earnestly hope every day that that former condition does not return. 

No comments: