Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Three Beautiful Things 08/20/13: 2001: A Space Odyssey, Bill!, Guiness and Hard Cider

1.  Here it is, August 20, 2013, and as a person who loves seeing movies, I had never seen 2001:  A Space Odyssey, released in 1968.  The Bijou Metro is in its second week of a Stanley Kubrick retrospective (which runs into November) and this week's offering is 2001: A Space Odyssey.  Whew.  It's been a while since I saw a movie that was so audacious and one that I left saying to myself, "That wasn't really a movie.  I had a great experience taking it in, and I don't really know what it was, but it wasn't really a movie."  I'm going to post a longer reflection in a blog post of its own.

2.  I don't think I'd seen Bill since he came to visit me in the hospital when I had meningitis.  I've thought about him often and hoped that I would run into him somewhere, at a movie, in a restaurant, out shopping....and today the Deke and I were sitting right by the door leading in and out of the Cornucopia and I stopped Bill as he was leaving and we had a good hello and now we can be back in touch.

3.  When in Nelson, B.C., a server at a sports bar sort of place mentioned how much she enjoyed hard cider mixed with Guiness, so, at Cornucopia this afternoon, I ordered one.  It had a bit too much cider, so I ordered another -- and asked for less cider -- and, well, then another.  I liked it.  Quite a bit.  I'm grateful to that brunette hippy girl with ringlets and with her shoulder and tattoo exposed and her hipster vintage store black poofy skirt in  Nelson, B.C. for spontaneously telling my sisters and me that she loves Guiness mixed with hard cider.

No comments: