Friday, August 23, 2013

Three Beautiful Things 08/22/13: Roses and the Senior Ball, Ditched by the Drier Repair Guy, Archie Bunker and Shylock

1.  While watering the yard, I pulled weeds from around the miniature rose I planted earlier this summer and the fragrance of the rose triggered memories from 1971-73 and inspired some reflections about growing older, here.

2.  I had to turn down an offer Mark Stern posted on Facebook to join him to watch the movie Big Star this afternoon because I had scheduled a repair for the drier.  Mark told me to ditch the repair guy and, instead, the repair guy ditched me.  He didn't come thanks to a mistake the service manager made when he wrote out the repair order but didn't put it on the schedule.  I should have listened to Mark and strolled right down to the Bijou Metro for a beer and to watch this fine looking music documentary and to spend some time with Mark.

3.  Once I knew I'd been ditched, I strolled to Cornucopia to meet up with the Deke and to enjoy a couple refreshing and tasty Guiness beers mixed with rhubarb cider.  The guy who served me called to drink a snakebite.  I told the Deke about not meeting Mark at the Bijou Metro and it triggered a memory from when Mark was my WR 121 student and the class read The Merchant of Venice and the play bothered Mark and he came to my office to talk with me about what bothered him and this led the Deke and me to talk about the play and how it's kind of like All in the Family in the way it appears to use caricature, but really doesn't -- although if a viewer wants to see Archie or Shylock as caricatures, the viewer can and will.

No comments: