Saturday, August 24, 2013

Three Beautiful Things 08/23/13: More on Growing Older With the Movies, Drier Fixed, Half and Halfs at Billy Mac's

1.  I enjoyed different friends' responses to what I wrote about growing older with the movies.  The comments made me wonder when I started my long and serious relationship with the movies.  Maybe it was in the eighth grade when I saw "Cool Hand Luke" at the Rena Theater in Kellogg, Idaho and something clicked in me that this was a different movie.  I didn't need words like "anti-hero" or "existential" or "anti-authoritarian" to feel that this movie revealed to me a view of life I hadn't known and, in doing so, gave me a pleasure that was brand new.  I think the crossover happened once and for all when Eileen and I went to movies at the Magic Lantern in Spokane and maybe most memorably when I saw Fellini's AmarcordAmarcord completely baffled me.  I didn't know what to make of it, especially the recurring guy on the motorcycle, whom I couldn't shake from my mind.  Being baffled intrigued me.  I wanted to see more movies like it and slowly sought out more movies that did not play in big theaters, ones that often were made outside the USA.  Yes, I went to the blockbusters:  Star Wars, Raiders of the Lost Ark, and others over the years, but my favorite movies were at the Bijou in Eugene, at Cinema 7 in Eugene, the Magic Lantern in Spokane.  Two of my friends made me think that it might be a good idea for me to go to some movies that are made just for laughs or thrills and maybe I'll just do that.

2.  Our drier door now stays shut when we close it.  It's fixed.

3.  The Deke worked all day continuing her efforts to get moved out of one classroom into another and she came home beat and ready for some gin and tonic and some dinner at Billy Mac's.  So, that's what we did and it was relaxing and refreshing.  I sure enjoyed having a bottle of Harp lager, a bottle of Guiness stout, a glass, and a notched spoon set before me so I could mix my own half and halfs.

No comments: